Representing Unions Nationwide For More Than Five Decades
Collective bargaining has produced countless advancements in workers’ rights. Collective bargaining with unions has led to the protection of important rights — such as reasonable working conditions and fair wages — that are foundational to the health, safety and wellness of workers in every industry.
Unions are subject to detailed federal regulations. Labor law is a labyrinth of complex federal laws, regulations and precedents. Navigating these intricate legal standards requires skill, experience and dedication.
What Makes Our Firm Different
At the Karmel & Torres, LLC, we provide experienced legal guidance for unions in the many legal issues they encounter. Our firm has focused exclusively on labor and employment law since its founding over five decades ago. Our lawyers do not just dabble in these areas; rather, it is all we do. This core focus enables us to keep abreast of the latest developments in the law and industry.
Our attorneys have experience representing some of the largest unions in the United States. We understand the challenges unions face in the current political and economic climate, and we work diligently to overcome legal hurdles on our clients’ behalf. To learn more, we encourage you to contact our offices in Chicago, Illinois and near Grand Rapids, Michigan to schedule a free consultation.
What We Do
We represent unions in a broad range of legal matters, including:
- National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) matters: We handle allegations of unfair labor practices, election petitions and challenges, injunctions and other matters. Our attorneys have experience appearing before seven regional NLRB offices.
- Internal union matters: We provide experienced legal guidance for internal union elections as well as employment matters within the union.
- Employee benefits: Our firm represents Taft-Hartley pension and welfare funds in navigating the complex federal laws and regulations impacting employee benefits. We also represent employees whose promised benefits have been denied or downgraded.
- Grievance arbitration: We provide comprehensive guidance for unions on whether and how to proceed with grievance arbitration. We also handle proceedings for enforcing or vacating arbitration awards in federal court.
- Collective bargaining agreements: Our attorneys provide strategic counsel for unions in negotiating, drafting and reviewing collective bargaining agreements.
- Union mergers: We advise unions on merger and affiliation issues, and we also handle challenges to mergers. Our firm successfully defeated a lawsuit that sought to void a merger of national unions.
- Labor-Management Reporting and Disclosure Act (LMRDA) issues: We provide seasoned guidance on ensuring compliance with the detailed provisions of the LMRDA.